Adjunct, Computer Sciences and Information Systems
Salt Lake Community College
Position Title: Adjunct, Computer Sciences and Information Systems
Open Internally or Externally: External
If faculty, tenure track status: Non-Tenure Track
Reports to (title): Associate Dean
Department: Computer Sciences and Information Sys (School of Business)-2D2
Requisition Number: A23001
Position Type: One Semester Temporary
Job Category: Adjunct – Variable
Initial Work Location: Varies
Starting Salary: $930/Contact Hour
Job Open Date: 01/13/2023
Job Close Date: 01/13/2024
Open Until Filled: No
Priority Review Date:
Job Summary: Salt Lake Community College is Utah’s largest college with the most diverse student body. It serves more than 60,000 students on 10 campuses and with online classes. All ages. Many interests and flexible scheduling.The Computer Sciences and Information Systems department prepares students to enter the workforce in a variety of information technology (IT) fields and/or to seamlessly transfer to a four year institution to continue IT related studies.1. Under general supervision, the adjunct faculty member teaches Computer Sciences and Information Systems courses to community college students.2. Students may pursue a Certificate, Associate of Applied Science Degree, or an Associate of Science Degree in Computer Sciences and Information Systems as offered by the department.3. Adjunct faculty member may teach classes at any SLCC campus or site.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties: 1. Follows the course curriculum outline, prepares and delivers lectures and other classroom activities.
2. Keeps accurate classroom records.
3. Coordinates Student ADA accommodation requests following college policy and procedures.
4. Answer student questions and provide necessary feedback on student progress.
5. Follows SLCC policies and procedures.
6. Supports department assessment initiatives.
7. Meets College and department deadlines and evaluates student work in a timely manner including submitting final grades on time.
8. Completes required training and attends department meetings where necessary.
9. Demonstrates and supports professional commitment to division, school, and college mission and values.1. Becomes familiar with, and abides by, all college policies with immediate priority given to those policies that govern interactions with colleagues, staff, administrators, and departments throughout the organization2. Maintains professional etiquette in communications with students, staff, faculty, and administrators3. Provides appropriate and timely feedback for all assignments4. Returns graded assignments in a timely fashion per department standards5. Maintains student attendance records (for Financial Aid purposes) and grades6. Conducts a variety of appropriate evaluations of student performance7. Informs students of progress-to-date periodically and assigns and submits grades by published deadlines8. Assists in maintaining a safe and mutually respectful instructional environment9. Prepares and submits incident reports to Dean of Student Services for inappropriate student behavior as defined by the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy10. Maintains professional and collegial behavior11. Handles/responds to student concerns/complaints, and responds to student communications and inquiries promptly (generally within 1‐2 days)12. Maintains professional appearance as defined by the discipline and/or College procedure13. Completes all required employee trainings14. Knows and enforces FERPA guidelines15. Provides ADA accommodations as requested
16. Other job related duties as needed
Essential Responsibilities and Duties Continued: 1. Becomes familiar with, and abides by, all college policies with immediate priority given to those policies that govern interactions with colleagues, staff, administrators, and departments throughout the organization2. Maintains professional etiquette in communications with students, staff, faculty, and administrators3. Provides appropriate and timely feedback for all assignments4. Returns graded assignments in a timely fashion per department standards5. Maintains student attendance records (for Financial Aid purposes) and grades6. Conducts a variety of appropriate evaluations of student performance7. Informs students of progress-to-date periodically and assigns and submits grades by published deadlines8. Assists in maintaining a safe and mutually respectful instructional environment9. Prepares and submits incident reports to Dean of Student Services for inappropriate student behavior as defined by the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy10. Maintains professional and collegial behavior11. Handles/responds to student concerns/complaints, and responds to student communications and inquiries promptly (generally within 1‐2 days)12. Maintains professional appearance as defined by the discipline and/or College procedure13. Completes all required employee trainings14. Knows and enforces FERPA guidelines15. Provides ADA accommodations as requested16. Other job related duties as needed
Minimum Qualifications: Education
Candidate must have either (a) or (b)
a. Master’s degree or higher
i. Degree must be from an accredited institution and in Computer Information Systems, Business Information Systems, Computer Science, or other computer-related field
b. Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution plus two or more of the following with supporting documentation:
-Professional Certification in Computing (national, state, regional)
-Teaching excellence award
-Computer or technology related college-level course work
beyond a Bachelor’s Degree, equivalent to at least 18 semester hours.
-Paid industry experience within the last five years in any of the following areas:
a) Web-Based Programming and Development, both client and server side
b) Database Design, Management and Administration
c) Software Design, Development and Engineering
d) Information Systems or Technology
Preferred Qualifications: Recent full-time or full-time equivalent teaching experience in CSIS or closely related field at a regionally accredited higher education institution
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Professional Industry experience in one or more computer-related fields.Strong knowledge of information security, network administration, programming issues and best practices.Assess and maintain records of student performance.Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, culture, ethnic background, and abilities, to maintain good working relationships across the College. The ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Non-Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
Special Instructions: This posting is for ongoing recruiting where the submitted applications are reviewed by the hiring department when positions become available.1. Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States.2. In accordance with SLCC policy, adjunct positions are offered on a semester by semester basis with no guarantee of continued employment. 3. Official transcripts are required for those who are offered employment within 30 days of hire. 4. In accordance with Board of Regents policy, SLCC’s Human Resources will conduct a criminal background check on instructors if concurrent enrollment (K-12) students are assigned to classes.The following documents are required to complete the application:-Resume or curriculum vitae-Copy of transcripts and certificates
SLCC Highlights: Salt Lake Community College is Utah’s largest open-access college with the most diverse student body in the state. We proudly educate 45,000+ students pursuing degrees in 100+ programs across 8 areas of study, and Utah’s fastest growing industries and four-year baccalaureate programs consistently welcome SLCC graduates. Every SLCC employee has a hand in transforming students’ lives to strengthen its surrounding communities. SLCC employees work at 11 locations across the valley and capital city of Salt Lake with easy access to the beautiful Wasatch Mountains, world-class outdoor recreation, sporting events, museums, history, and arts and entertainment.Salt Lake Community College seeks and values contributions from each community member and welcomes new and diverse perspectives. A respectful work environment is its top priority; academic excellence and lasting transformation come about when diverse voices can speak and collaborate freely. As an emerging HSI, SLCC leads the state with the highest enrollment of students from the Latinx/a/o community. SLCC is committed to serving diverse students and being a model for inclusive and transformative education.
SLCC Information: Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.slcc.edu/postings/54651
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About Salt Lake Community College
Salt Lake Community College will be a model for inclusive and transformative education, strengthening the communities we serve through the success of our students.
Salt Lake Community College is your community college. We engage and support students in educational pathways leading to successful transfer and meaningful employment.
We don’t just state our values; we live them through dedicated, collective effort. Our values ground our future endeavors and help us realize our mission of being an open-access, comprehensive community college committed to the transfer education and workforce needs of our students.
- We believe we’re better when we work together.
- We partner with our community in the transformative, public good of educating students.
- We seek to cultivate an environment of respect and empathy, advanced by diverse cultures and perspectives.
- We learn as a college by building outstanding educational experiences for students and by supporting faculty and staff in their professional development.
- We value fresh thinking and encourage the energy of new ideas and initiatives.
- We do the right things for the right reasons.
- We build trust by working together in good faith and goodwill to fulfill the College’s mission.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We value contributions from each SLCC community member and strive to create a secure, welcoming and respectful environment for our employees. We believe a rich diversity of voices and perspectives leads to academic excellence and impactful transformation. We welcome applications from candidates committed to inclusion and diversity in the workplace. Read about our enduring commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity.
We are a strong community of employees striving to fulfill the same mission, guided by the same vision and values, and connected in our efforts to become a model for transformative and inclusive higher education — all of which wouldn’t be possible without the well-being of our employees. Here at SLCC, you’ll find a collaborative and inclusive work environment with ample opportunities for relevant and meaningful professional development and learning opportunities. Learn how people shape our Workplace Culture.
Find our ten SLCC campuses around the Salt Lake Valley, each one in view of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains and with easy access to world-class outdoor recreation, sporting events, museums, history, arts and entertainment. We’re proud to host part of the internationally renowned Sundance Film Festival at the SLCC Grand Theatre, and support U.S. Speedskating Olympic hopefuls at our facilities and in our classrooms. Nationally, our state is consistently lauded for its burgeoning economy, affordable cost of living and strong communities. (We should know, we’re one of them, just ask us!) See where we live and work.
Our SLCC Story
We are Utah’s largest open-access college, proudly educating the state’s most diverse student body in 100+ degree programs across 8 areas of study. Together, we transform students’ lives to strengthen our communities since 1948. Our 60,000+ students gain training and education relevant to Utah’s fastest growing industries and four-year baccalaureate programs, with most students transferring to four-year institutions and thousands more launching careers in direct-to-workforce programs. But there’s much more to our story.