Assistant Professor or Instructor (two positions)—Search #67996
Georgia Southern University
Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing
Department of Information Technology
The Department of Information Technology in the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing invites applications and nominations for two positions of tenure-track Assistant Professor or non-tenure-track Instructor of Information Technology. The home campus for this position will be the Statesboro campus; however, teaching on other campuses may be required.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving over 25,500 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
Within this setting, the Department of Information Technology offers a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT), a Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT), and an undergraduate Cyber Security Certificate. Additionally, the department also offers an online Bachelor Program in information technology (BIT Online). Moreover, the College of Engineering and Computing will begin offering a Ph.D. in Applied Computing in 2024.
The department recently received a $2.5 Million grant from NSF to build a future IT workforce. It is expected that the grant will greatly strengthen collaborations between the department and the growing high-tech industries in the greater Savannah area. Thus, the Department of IT is expanding and actively searching for motivated researchers who are dedicated to developing quality research, training future IT professionals, and contributing to the growing technology-based economy in southeastern Georgia.
Position Description. Reporting to the department chair of Information Technology, the tenure-track assistant professor is required to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate courses in online and/or face-to-face format on all Georgia Southern campuses, including Savannah and Statesboro; 2) conduct quality research leading to peer-reviewed publications in well-regarded venues and external funding; and 3) provide service to the department, college, university, and professional committees. The non-tenure-track instructor is required to: 1) offer undergraduate courses in online and/or face-to-face format on all Georgia Southern campuses, including Savannah and Statesboro; and 2) provide service to the department, and college committees. The positions are 10-month appointments, and the salaries are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Minimum of earned terminal degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or a closely related field from an accredited institution, by August 1, 2024 is required for the rank of assistant professor
• Minimum of master's degree with 18 graduate semester hours in Computer Science, IT, Information Systems, or a closely related field is required for the rank of instructor
• Evidence of quality teaching in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a closely related field of study
• Evidence of effective communication and writing skills
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development
• Demonstrated commitment to advancing a strong and growing research and scholarship agenda and the production of research/creative activities as appropriate to the discipline (for the rank of Assistant Professor)
• Research and teaching experience in one or more of the broad areas of Cybersecurity, Data Science, Computer Networks, or closely related field
• Evidence of the potential of quality research
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
• Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
• Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the campuses of Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins November 1, 2023 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2024. A complete application consists of a) a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; b) a curriculum vitae; and c) the names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses of at least three (3) professional references, and d) for the rank of assistant professor, a statement of research interest including a five-year research plan. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Lei Chen, Search Chair, Search #67996
Georgia Southern University
Phone: 912-478-4848 (ITIT)
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://cec.georgiasouthern.edu/it/. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About Georgia Southern University
Georgia Southern University is the state’s largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of Atlanta. With 141 degree programs at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern has been designated a public Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution and serves over 26,400 students from all 50 states, Washington D.C., and Puerto Rico as well as 102 nations.
With three vibrant campuses — the Statesboro Campus, the Armstrong Campus in Savannah and the Liberty Campus in Hinesville — Georgia Southern offers an attractive campus environment that encourages learning, discovery and personal growth. Georgia Southern’s nationally accredited academic programs prepare diverse scholars for leadership and service as world citizens. A unit of the University System of Georgia, the University boasts 200-plus student organizations, outstanding Division I athletics, and state-of-the art residence halls and campus facilities.
Since 1906, the University’s hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom, and promotes student growth and life success. Central to the University’s mission is the faculty’s dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations, and individual responsibility for academic achievement.
Faculty, staff, and students embrace core values expressed through integrity, civility, kindness, collaboration, and a commitment to lifelong learning, wellness, and social responsibility.
When inquiring or applying for positions within Georgia Southern University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Georgia Southern University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Georgia Southern University are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at Georgia Southern University.