Associate Professor/Professor and Chair—Search #67975
Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing
Department of Computer Science
The Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering & Computing invites applications and nominations for the position of Professor or Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Computer Science.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving over 25,500 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
Within this setting, the Department of Computer Science offers a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Computer Science (BSCS), a Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering, and a hybrid-format Master of Science degree with a major in Computer Science. The BSCS program has specializations leading to certifications in multiple domains, including Network and Computer Security, Game Programming, Software Engineering, and Broadband and Mobile Systems. Georgia Southern's BS in Computer Science program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
The new BS in Software Engineering program teaches essential skills such as software quality assurance, application software development, systems software development, embedded software development, full-stack engineering, cybersecurity, and more. This program will apply for EAC of ABET accreditation upon graduation of its first cohort of students.
In addition, the College of Engineering and Computing will begin offering a Ph.D. in Applied Computing in 2024. The CS department chair will be integral to the process of establishing and growing the program to its full potential. Disciplines emphasized in the Ph.D. program are computing foundations, cybersecurity, and machine learning (AI, data mining, computational intelligence, cryptography, etc.).
Position Description. Reporting to the dean, the chair will provide leadership for the teaching, scholarship, and service missions of the department on both the Armstrong and Statesboro campuses. The chair will advance a culture of academic excellence where distinction in teaching, research, and service is expected and rewarded. The chair will provide leadership for undergraduate and graduate curriculum development, assessment of student learning, accreditation, research programs, and initiatives that further the department and College strategic plans. The chair will also be responsible for departmental resource management, such as budgeting, purchasing, and academic scheduling. The chair will represent the department within the University community as well as maintain contacts with industry, alumni, and external stakeholders. The chair will be an active teacher-scholar in the department and participate in service. The position is a 12-month, tenured appointment and requires a terminal degree. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned terminal degree in computer science or a closely related field
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development
• Demonstrated commitment to advancing a strong and growing research and scholarship agenda and the production of research/creative activities as appropriate to the discipline
• Minimum of 5 years full-time college/university teaching experience at the assistant professor level is required for the rank of associate professor along with a strong record of research and service with publications and presentations in professional venues
• Minimum of 5 years of full-time college/university teaching experience at the associate professor level is required for the rank of professor along with a strong record of research and service with substantial publications and presentations in professional venues
• Record of professional experience and research and service commensurate with rank of Professor
• Demonstrated strong leadership ability
• Teaching or research expertise in one or more of the following areas: big data; data warehousing; mobile ad hoc networks; cloud computing; machine learning; or computer security
• Experience relevant to recruiting, developing, and retaining high achieving faculty
• Experience with managing a department or program, including budgeting
• A history of an open administrative style, showing flexibility in governance and demonstrating the ability to earn the trust and confidence of faculty, students, staff and administrators
• Experience with developing partnerships with business and industry leaders in the public and private sectors, including fundraising
• Experience with strategic planning and program development
• Established record of competitive scholarship and the acquisition and management of extramural funding
• Experience with ABET and/or university-wide accreditation
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
• Faculty and administrators are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
• Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins October 15, 2023 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is July 1, 2024. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least five professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Fernando Rios, Search Chair, Search #67975
Georgia Southern University
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or cec.georgiasouthern.edu/. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About Georgia Southern University
Georgia Southern University is the state’s largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of Atlanta. With 141 degree programs at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern has been designated a public Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution and serves over 26,400 students from all 50 states, Washington D.C., and Puerto Rico as well as 102 nations.
With three vibrant campuses — the Statesboro Campus, the Armstrong Campus in Savannah and the Liberty Campus in Hinesville — Georgia Southern offers an attractive campus environment that encourages learning, discovery and personal growth. Georgia Southern’s nationally accredited academic programs prepare diverse scholars for leadership and service as world citizens. A unit of the University System of Georgia, the University boasts 200-plus student organizations, outstanding Division I athletics, and state-of-the art residence halls and campus facilities.
Since 1906, the University’s hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom, and promotes student growth and life success. Central to the University’s mission is the faculty’s dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations, and individual responsibility for academic achievement.
Faculty, staff, and students embrace core values expressed through integrity, civility, kindness, collaboration, and a commitment to lifelong learning, wellness, and social responsibility.
When inquiring or applying for positions within Georgia Southern University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Georgia Southern University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Georgia Southern University are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at Georgia Southern University.