Postdoctoral Researcher Drone and Machine Learning
Salary: $44,352.00 – $55,440.00 Annually
Job Type: FT Nonexempt Salaried Staff
Job Number: FY2300975
Closing: 9/30/2023 11:59 PM Mountain
Location: 800 W University Parkway, Orem
Division: College of Technology/Computing
The Drone and Machine Learning Lab at UVU is hiring a postdoctoral researcher to work directly with Dr. Shekaramiz from the ECE program on a multi-disciplinary project for developing an automated drone-based inspection system for online condition monitoring, fault diagnosis, and reliability prediction of wind turbine blades. Individuals with evidence of solid experience in scholarly research and a strong commitment to excellence in education are encouraged to apply. The applicants must submit their CVs, 2-3 recommendation letters, Ph.D. diploma in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science, Transcripts, and a cover letter.
Summary of Responsibilities
- (25%) Develop machine/deep learning algorithms for crack and anomaly detection via Thermal-RGB imaging.
- (30%) Develop path-planning algorithms for a commercial drone to be able to detect the desired wind turbine and safely perform various missions around wind turbines using Lidar, anemometer, IMU, GPS, and Optical/Thermal camera.
- (15%) Develop a platform to integrate the drone path-planning system with the algorithms related to anomaly/crack detection of wind turbines.
- (10%) Lead multiple teams of undergraduate and graduate students working on several aspects of the project. Also, help students set up experiments both indoors and outdoors for drone activities, safely.
- (20%) Work with the PI, Co-PIs, involved Postdocs, and undergraduate and graduate students on writing technical reports as well as papers to be submitted to conferences and journals based on the obtained results and presenting them at various events.
Recent Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
Solid knowledge of computer vision and deep learning as well as programming with Python and MATLAB.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines and adapt to ever-changing needs
- Solid background in signal and image processing techniques and algorithms
- Strong background in deep learning and machine learning
- Proficient in using Git, Jupyter Notebook, Googlecolab, and AWS
- Proficient in Python and machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn, pandas, matplotlib, Spacy and solid experience with OpenCV, TensorFlow, Keras, Pytorch
- Familiar with GUI and Software development
- Proficient in C++, Matlab, Koltin, and Java
- Familiar with Linux
Preferred to also have experience on:
- Lidar Systems
- Thermal and hyperspectral imaging
- Path-planning and controller design for drones
Leading multiple teams of students and being a team player.
UVU employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant's qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About Utah Valley University
Utah Valley University is the largest public university in Utah, and one of a few in the nation offering a dual-mission model that combines the rigor and richness of a first-rate teaching university with the openness and vocational programs of a community college. The unique model, which focuses on student success, engaged learning, rigorous academic programs, and faculty-mentored research, is transforming higher education by making it more affordable and accessible to students of all backgrounds.
Overall, Utah Valley University places a strong emphasis on teaching. Faculty members are expected to develop a learning environment and activities that help students achieve their learning objectives. UVU is committed to fostering and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). We recognize the need to develop a diverse and inclusive faculty, staff, and student body and encourage applicants with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and expertise to apply.
To see additional information about our job opening(s) or to apply, please click on the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of our job posting.
Jobs at Utah Valley University. When inquiring or applying for jobs at Utah Valley University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with Utah Valley University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Utah Valley University are posted, please sign up for new job openings at Utah Valley University.