Vst Research Software Development Engineer/Senior Research Software Development Engineer
Discovery Partners Institute
The Discovery Partners Institute provides a platform for people to jumpstart their tech careers or companies in Chicago. Led by the University of Illinois System in partnership with local and global research universities, DPI does three things: train people for high-demand tech jobs, conduct applied R&D, and build businesses to grow Chicago's tech ecosystem. With state investment and a new urban innovation district in development just south of the Chicago Loop, DPI has the resources to attract, develop and leverage the most driven people and companies the region has to offer and keep them here.
DPI invites nominations and applications for the position of (Sr.) Research Software Development Engineer. This position offers an extraordinary opportunity for versed engineers to build technology-based products and services. The (Sr.) Research Software Development Engineer will work closely with the system architect, other members of the cross-functional & cross-organizational teams, and external researchers/industry partners to create best-in-class scalable technology-based platforms and services, and solutions.
Additional responsibilities included:
- Provide technology based objective thinking through experience and knowledge in the latest platforms, and software infrastructure (including cloud-based) applications and services to support ongoing and new projects by gathering and analyzing software requirements and investigating optimal solutions.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of stakeholders, software developers, and architects to design, implement, and test the solutions. Connect the dots between project needs, innovation, and good design.
- Document and conduct testing to evaluate software robustness, identify bugs and defects, and verify requirements gaps. Provides basic system administration support (e.g., keeping applications, operating system, and security settings up to date, ensuring regular data backups, etc.) for LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Perl/Python) servers.
- Write detailed supporting documentation including software requirements specification, system architecture specification, operational requirements specification, and user interface specification.
- Build user interfaces that are interactive, consistent and fast, that thrive under heavy customization and varying use cases, that encourage exploration, and that earn the trust of our customers through reliable, accessible and thoughtful interactions. Code solutions to problems using a structured approach, keeping in mind long-term maintainability and accessibility.
- Test coded solutions properly to ensure a quality application. Work with end-users during and after development to ensure needs are met.
- Provide support and training to other technical teams, empowering them to train their team members on using web-based tools.
- Collaborate with Digital Experience and Analysis team members and interfaces with Information Services and third-party product support to ensure that servers and applications run smoothly and efficiently.
- Prepare activity reports to monitor progress and track the status of the projects
- Assume additional appropriate and related duties to further the mission of the institute as needed.
About University of Illinois - Chicago
UIC is an outstanding institution of higher learning whose presence continues to grow in Illinois and the world, providing superior education and important services to a diverse community. The University of Illinois Chicago is one of the best young universities in the world, consistently achieving a high rank in Higher Education‘s 100 Under 50 list. One in ten college graduates in Chicago received their degree from UIC.
US News and World Reports rank UIC programs in areas as varied as City Managing and Urban Policy, Literary Criticism and Theory, Criminology and health sciences in the top 20 of United States universities. UIC is a major educator of health professionals and its Pharmacy, Occupational Therapy, Nursing, Public Health, and Physical Therapy colleges rank in US News and World Reports top 20 list. The UIC College of Medicine is the largest in the nation and educates one in six Illinois physicians.
Jobs at the University of Illinois Chicago.
When inquiring or applying for job openings at the University of Illinois Chicago, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with the University of Illinois Chicago and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the University of Illinois Chicago are posted, please sign up for new job openings at the University of Illinois Chicago.