Geodetic Analyst/Instructor, GIS Center (1282)
Pocatello – Main
Idaho State University, established in 1901, is a Carnegie-classified doctoral research and teaching institution, with a culture built on trust, compassion, stability, and hope. ISU serves over 12,000 students in Pocatello, Meridian, Twin Falls, and Idaho Falls. Students and faculty at ISU are leading the way in cutting-edge research and innovative solutions. We are proud to offer exceptional academics nestled in the grand, natural beauty of the West. We invite you to apply to be a part of our University community!
This full-time position will support ISU's GIS Training and Research Center's (GIS TReC) long standing geodetic coordination efforts with Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) and the National Geodetic Survey (NGS). The goal of this position is to make strides toward modernizing and maintaining the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS), and meet the needs of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) throughout Idaho. The successful candidate will be a resource to coordinate communications, submissions, and guidance with NGS and spatial data professionals and serve as NGS's Geodetic Coordinator for Idaho.
The successful candidate may choose to pursue individual geospatial research involving Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), Terrestrial Laser Scanning (TLS), GIS, and/or other related studies, seeking funding to support their research interests. Alternatively, the successful candidate may choose to develop and offer geospatial courses and workshops and thereby support geodetic/geospatial activities at the GIS TReC, the University, and broader community.
This position reports to ISU's GIS Director, and serves as the point of contact for questions and guidance regarding geodesy and geodetic control in the State of Idaho. The individual will:
- Be a resource providing geodetic guidance to geospatial professionals working in Idaho
- Maintain the Multi-state Control Point Database (MCPD)
- Have demonstrated expertise in understanding, communicating, and working with spatial data, geodetic data/applications, as well as land surveying and will coordinate/facilitate the:
- Perpetuation and maintenance of NGS horizontal control points and vertical benchmarks for Idaho, including using TransLev and WinDesc software to finalize submittals to the NGS
- Planning of geodetic control projects in partnership with ITD
- Development of standards for field surveys using GNSS and digital leveling technologies
- Establishment, maintenance, and training in calibration baselines with the ITD
Other core responsibilities include:
- Provide on-site consultation for Idaho Professional Land Surveyors (PLS)
- Assist in the installation and maintenance of GPS/GNSS base stations in Idaho
- Maintain knowledge and skills through continued education in professional land surveying and geodesy
- Participate in the annual Idaho Society of Professional Land Surveyors conference as a geodetic resource for PLS practitioners
About Idaho State University
Founded in 1901, Idaho State University is one of the most comprehensive higher education institutions in the country. Idaho State is one of six universities in the US offering programs from technical certificates through graduate and professional degrees. The Carnegie-classified doctoral research institution attracts students from around the world to its main campus in Pocatello and locations in Meridian, Idaho Falls, and Twin Falls. Since 1966, the University has been Idaho's designated leader for training and educating health care professionals.
Idaho State University offers exceptional academics at the heart of an outdoor-lover's paradise. Only a few minutes from campus, you can find world-class skiing and snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing.
Jobs at the Idaho State University.
When inquiring or applying for job openings at the Idaho State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with the Idaho State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the Idaho State University are posted, please sign up for new job openings at the Idaho State University.